LOOKING AT WHAT TO DO WITH KINETIC SAND? LOOK NO FURTHER READ ABOUT SOME FUN GAMES
Hey guys, if your like me and going bananas at home try something new today! There is something about changing up your daily routine that shakes your brain out of the norm. Even though it seems obvious, I often need to remind myself to change things up, like the way I do things around the house. I know these are hard times for everyone, and staying stationary is definitely not my fortitude. This past year has been filled with a lot of breathing and letting go of the ways things used to be. For starters, entertaining kids is an ongoing challenge when they are stuck at home, and for that matter even studying on Zoom! With all of this happening around us, I think it’s so important to have a bit of gratitude for the ones we love. I don’t know where I’d be without them. Shaking up your routine of fun activities with your kids can really work wonders! I know they can just have fun, but why not sneak in a little education too! It’s like when you sneak in broccoli to their dinner! For those of us that need to rely on ourselves for child care during the pandemic, put in the extra push to shake things up and the results will make all the difference for you and your kids.
Kinetic sand activities are super fun and the malleable texture never gets old. It can be great as a calming sensory activity, the soft and squishy texture is very soothing for kids. Works as a tactile therapy play! It is also education if you would like to go down that road today as well. Watch your kiddos have fun as they squeeze, dig and play with their sand. There are infinite amounts of possibilities with kinetic sand. Have fun today and whip up a batch!
How to use kinetic sand? Once you’ve whipped up a batch of kinetic sand, plop it into a large Tupperware container and have at it!
Things to try with your kinetic sand
- Practice scooping, squeezing, forming, shaping, designing, digging, filling, or emptying.
- Incorporate scoops and shovels like the ones you usually take to the beach. If you don’t have any of those around you can also use kitchen utensils. Or even old recyclable plastic containers for scooping and making sandcastles.
- Nothing like an at-home sandbox for endless entertainment, you can play the same way with kinetic sand. Experiment with imagination, if you don’t mind getting more of their toys dirty, bring them into the sandbox as well. The barbies can pretend they’re taking a walk through the desert!
- Play with making shapes, by stamping forms into the sand. You can use cooking cutters, kitchen utensils, you name it! Get creative with what household items you can creatively use.
If you’re not sure which stuff to do with kinetic sand, just start by playing with your hands, slowly you will have ideas of things you can form with this malleable stuff! Making a batch for some kinetic sand projects with blow your kids away! The malleable texture will truly keep them entertained for hours.
What is kinetic sand used for? Sensory play! Make some today, here is a recipe
- 2 ½ cups of sand
- 1 ½ cups of cornstarch (if you don’t have enough you can use flour)
- ½ cup of oil (canola or sunflower is fine, doesn’t need to be fancy!)
Mix together your ingredients in a big Tupperware container, mix in food coloring if you like!
Kinetic sand benefits
- Helps kids develop their fine-tuned motor skills
- Allows them to explore imagination and creativity
- Sensory benefits
- Emotions and social engagement through play
A great thing about making a batch of kinetic sand at home is that it’s nothing like a sandbox! A sandbox can take up a huge part of your back yard. All you need to make kinetic sand is some simple items from the kitchen. The best part is that it’s much less messy because it sticks together, so you don’t have to worry about sand going also over the house!
- Are your kids happy? Yes?! We are glad of it!
- Oooops, I'm sorry you didn't like the article. Can you tell me why?