WHIP UP A QUICK CRAFT WITH HOUSEHOLD ITEMS: HOW TO MAKE A MASK OUT OF PAPER PLATES
There’s nothing quite like dressing up and also being disguised! I have to say if there’s one activity I like to participate in as an adult, it’s one hundred percent this one! Decorate masks together with your kiddos and dress up for a masquerade ball. You can go anywhere from cartoon masks, animal masks for just classy glittery masks! You don’t have to have an excuse like Halloween to dress up. Having a dress-up box was always my favorite toy in the house. Whenever we would have friends over for playdates, I remember this was our go-to! Organize one for your kids today.
Try this paper plates masks craft!
There are many ways to go about this craft, here are a couple of ideas to get you started and inspired. Remember to decorate to whatever level you like!
What you will need
- Paper plates
- Pen or pencil
- Tempura paint or felt markers
- Hot glue gun
- Elmer’s glue
- Straw or popsicle stick
- Decorations (glitter, sequins, ribbon, coloured paper, tissue paper, rhinestones etc.)
Roll up those sleeves! These paper plate masks for kids can get messy.
Step by step process
- First protect your working area or table, with old newspaper or an old sheet
- Start by drawing out your desired shape of a mask onto the paper plate. I recommend a pencil for this step. Pay attention to how wide you draw your mask according to who’s face it will be for. Leave a small space for the bridge of your nose
- Mark with your pencil or pen where to position your eyes
- Grab your scissors and start cutting the outline of your mask, gently crease your mask close to where you want the eyes, and cut two oval-shaped holes
- Start colouring in your mask with either paint or felt markers
- Now start decorating! Use your Elmer’s glue or hot glue gun for this step. Try placing glue on your mask and sprinkling glitter on top!
- Set to dry and don’t be tempted to touch before it’s ready!
- Now heat your glue gun and attach your straw or popsicle stick onto the side of the mask
- Good to go! Let your glue set and you’re ready for a dress-up party
Wondering how to make animal masks with paper plates? Not as hard as it sounds.
- Follow the instructions the same way as before, just adjust your colouring and decorations
- Pick an animal, and think easy like a butterfly or cheetah
- If you picked butterfly, just adjust the shape of your mask to dip down a bit lower on the cheeks. Colour or paint it according to your liking and there you go!
- Picked the cheetah? Start by mixing up an orangy brown colour, and paint that as your base. Now with your paintbrush or sponge blop small patches of black to resemble the fur of a cheetah!
Mask making with paper plates is not as hard as it looks. Try it today and rock out with your crafting adventure!
- Are your kids happy? Yes?! We are glad of it!
- Oooops, I'm sorry you didn't like the article. Can you tell me why?